We were recently introduced to gem Medicine Kitchen and have yet to quit reading. Started as a side hustle by Sarah Senter, she started Medicine Kitchen as a branch of her practice devoted to food & dietary therapy, natural home remedies, and support for healthy living. Sarah holds a Masters of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine degree…the girl knows what she’s talking about. Sarah will be back next week to share the 5 Elements Diet (water, wood, fire, earth, metal) and I’ll also be sharing my own experience trying cupping or the first time. In the meantime, we asked Sarah to share her own natural skin care regime including a few of her favorite products and techniques…Gua Sha, anyone?
- Rose can treat redness and inflammation. It has been transformative for my own skin to use rose-infused products. These two grocery-store bought items are always in my cabinet and make my skin feel super soft, soothed, and calm.
- This cleanser was a big tool for me in achieving problem-free skin. It has grapefruit seed and oregano oil, MSM, aloe juice, rose hip oil and lavender water… these agents fight bacteria, reduce inflammation, hydrate, help collagen synthesis, and it smells divine. As I’m relatively minimal with my products- this is my splurge and I buy it at Sabia here in Austin. I massage my cleanser into my skin for at least a full minute or even more to really circulate and the move the blood/qi through my whole face. I’m certain this is a crucial part of the “cleansing” step for your skin. Thanks to my friend Elizabeth, the gifted aesthetician at Neu Skin Austin, for teaching me this lesson!
Jojoba Oil / Fig and Yarrow Face Serum
- Jojoba oil has done wonders for my skin. Jojoba oil stimulates collagen synthesis, acts similar to our own sebum and can balance dry skin OR oily skin. It can help with wound healing and acne and is a great natural makeup remover. So many uses for jojoba – even to help stimulate hair growth and use on dry scalps.
(Also a favorite of Love Child featured artist and vegan, Avalon McKenzie)
- RMS Organics is the only makeup brand I currently use on my skin – with their Uncoverup Concealer and Lip2Cheek color pot. I even mix a tiny bit of concealer with 2 drops of jojoba oil to thin it out & make my face feel hydrated and dewy all day. This makes your product last forever too! RMS is coconut oil based and feels extremely nourishing on your skin. My favorite beauty line by far.
Gua Sha for Face:
- And what is that jade stone tool up there at the top? That’s my gua sha face tool! Gua Sha is a scraping technique similar to massage that we use in Chinese medicine to stimulate blood and lymph circulation, move qi & blood, and dispel toxins and stagnation from the body. Gua Sha can be used on your face for anti-aging beauty purposes! I love the glow & revitalizing feeling it gives to my face. Hoping to make a Gua Sha for face video soon so all of you can start this simple practice at home.